Tucked between the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean, the expansive shoreline makes each beach in Costa Rica different from the next, each with its unique personality. If you consider yourself an avid beach goer and find yourself lazing by the beach any chance you get, you absolutely cannot miss the beaches in Costa Rica. With white sand, palm trees, black volcanic sand, and rugged coves surrounded by tropical rainforests, Costa Rica is the place to go.
You might not know where to start with so many beaches to explore. In this helpful guide, we’ll talk you through the must-visit beaches in Costa Rica, whether you’re after the perfect beaches for surfing or to relax and soak up some sun.
Must-visit beaches in Costa Rica
Although exciting, traveling to a new place can be stressful if you’re unsure where to start. If you’re about to start planning your trip to Costa Rica, you’ll find this list of must-visit beaches in Costa Rica helpful in planning your days ahead! From the surfing beaches of the Nicoya Peninsula’s Guanacaste province in the North to the Southern Caribbean Puntarenas Province, there are many incredible places to explore. These include:
- Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park — One of the most popular destinations in the country, it borders the Manuel Antonio National Park — a coastal rainforest in Costa Rica booming with wildlife. If you enjoy a hike filled with incredible views, you can’t miss the 30-minute hiking trail that extends from the park’s entrance to Manuel Antonio Beach. Discover the country’s wildlife and finish off with a dip in the beautiful ocean water.
- Tamarindo Beach, Guanacaste — Nicoya Peninsula’s Guanacaste province is home to Tamarindo Beach, a surfing beach ideal for beginner surfers and seasoned pros alike. With a variety of local resorts to choose from and plenty of nearby exotic restaurants, you’ll have everything you need in the happening town of Tamarindo.
- Jaco Beach, Puntarenas Province — The focal point of the Central Pacific Coast, Jaco Beach is the closest beach to San José in Puntarenas. With an incredible selection of restaurants, hotels, lounges, and clubs, and some of the most amazing waves in the country, Jaco Beach is perfect for party goers seeking the ideal combination of the surf, shops, and nightlife.
- Costa Ballena (Whale Coast), South Pacific — For a trip to remember, you can’t miss the famous Whale Coast of Costa Ballena. The coastal treasures of Uvita Beach and Hermosa Beach comprise the border, creating the shape of the “Whale’s Tail” on Punta Uvita in Marino Ballena National Park. Humpback whales return to this beautiful location every year from August to October and December to April. Book a whale-watching tour, and rent some snorkel gear, kayaks, or paddleboards to make the most of it!
- Punta Uva Beach, Southern Caribbean Coast — If you’re looking for a relaxing beach to sit back and enjoy with your loved ones, Punta Uva Beach on the Southern Caribbean Coast is the perfect destination. Located within the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge, its dense jungle is home to native monkeys, sloths, and bird species. Its calm waters are perfect for snorkeling and ideal for families with small children.
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Limon Province — Picture this: a relaxing holiday sipping coconuts on deserted beaches, spotting native wildlife, trying the raw chocolate the town is famous for, and enjoying a lazy brunch at a local cafe, watching the sunrise. Soak up the Caribbean Costa Rican vibe at Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. From the local Jaguar Rescue Center that offers fun, educational tours to Cahuita National Park — electric bikes are available to rent, so you can explore the relaxed town.
Book your next Costa Rica vacation with Kalon Surf today
Kalon Surf is an all-inclusive surf resort with ocean views, jungle surroundings, and incredible sunsets. By choosing us as your resort, we’ll make it our top priority to ensure that all you have to think about is surfing, sunbathing and relaxing. Simply arrive at San José, Costa Rica, and we’ll be there to pick you up in an SUV for a comfortable ride along the coast to Kalon Surf. We’re located a convenient 15-minutes from the best surfing beaches in Costa Rica.
We specialize in surf coaching for all levels — our passionate surf coaches will help you or your loved ones build confidence and learn to surf, no matter your experience. After all, what better place to learn than on some of the world’s most gorgeous beaches? Our surf coaches will have fresh fruits and sunscreen ready to keep you nourished and protected all day long — and we even provide fresh aloe from our garden to revitalize your skin! And for those relaxed days, we prepare our gourmet meals with only the freshest ingredients from our on-site garden, inspired by local flavors.
So, what are you waiting for? Take the vacation you deserve with Kalon Surf, and let us take care of everything from the second you set foot in San José.